Ways To Prevent Water Damage
Here at SERVPRO® of East Mecklenburg/Matthews, we are water damage specialists and compiled a small list of how to prevent water damage from happening in your home:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts - Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof. Do not forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from your home.
- Know your Water Main - Know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check Appliances Regularly - Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly - If you choose to ignore any water damage, or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses - Old, brittle, or leaky washing machine hoses are among homeowners' most frequent water loss causes. Replace yours often throughout the year to avoid expensive damage.
- Check Your Water Pressure - If the water pressure in your home is too high, your pipes and hoses may fail under high pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home's water pressure. Typical homes' water systems are designed for a pressure of 40 – 70 psi. Anything above 70 psi will put your plumbing at risk.
- Monitor Your Water Bill - Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is by taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next, there is probably a leak somewhere in the home.
If you experience water damage, don't worry, SERVPRO® of East Mecklenburg/Matthews is Here to help. Call us at 704-847-8001.